Since the opening of the bridge in 1988, Ré isn't really an
island any more. The bridge marked the end of the ferries
which crossed between La Pallice and Sablanceaux.
These ferries, put into service after the second world war,
had replaced steamers. The first steamer connected the island
to La Rochelle in 1834.
The postcard in the
title, dated 1977, shows the ferry "Gabriel Chobelet"
The postcard opposite, from the
1950's, shows the ferry "Gustave Perreau".
These ferries no longer met the demands made by the increased
number of holiday-makers in the 1980's or the needs of the
inhabitants and the local economy.
The bridge simplified the life of the permanent residents and
second home owners . It allowed a larger number of visitors,
even if only visiting for a few hours, to enjoy the
incomparable charm of the island.
The island of Ré is fashionable. The
nostalgia of the ferries is over.
Two postcards of the lighthouse,
Phare des Baleines, one dated 1918 and one dated 1950.
The Phare des Baleines defies time.
Postcard dated 1950, Les
Portes-en-Ré, centre of the village towards the church.
Salt made the wealth of the island
in the 17th century.
In the 19th century, the competition of salt coming from the
south of France ruined this industry.
This postcard of 1964 shows that
salt was still present at that time and today, the new
generation has relaunched the collection of the salt.